Wednesday, December 29, 2010

KT Tunstall visits Indianapolis

Friday, November 19, 2010
Studio 92 and The Vogue

As my brief bio indicates, I’m now 40 years old and with that title, I can’t seem to stay up late anymore.  Now, others will read this and say it’s not my age (those who are my age and older that don’t like admitting they are getting old) but a personal preference.  All I know is 10 years ago I could stay out long enough to close bars and then eat greasy breakfast food afterwards.  Today, I’d rather sit in the BMV all afternoon than close a bar.

So, the fact we left KT Tunstall’s concert on November 19 at The Vogue  after about 6 songs had NOTHING to do with Ms. Tunstall’s performance.  To the contrary, I was deeply saddened that I could no longer stand at a bar and listen to her perform…it was around 11 p.m.

Luckily, I was fortunate enough to see Ms. Tunstall at a small VIP performance at the WTTS 92.3 studios in downtown Indianapolis.  As you can imagine, I LOVE these “private concerts” as we get to see the artist up close and personal, typically by themselves and performing three to five stellar songs.  Best of all, it’s all during your lunch hour when you’re bright eyed and bushy tailed.


After waiting only a short while in a line, the guests were seated in a small studio with a stage big enough for only a few acoustic style performers.  Ms. Tunstall walked in and almost immediately played her first song, “Madame Trudeaux” prepping us with an explanation of the inspiration.  After her energy-filled tune, there was a brief q & a with a radio station dj.  I think you can tell a lot about a “famous” person by how they act when in these settings.  I’ve seen Ms. Tunstall three times now in “private” concerts and each time she is gracious, generous and professional.  I can imagine how hard it is to be on the road, but I also know it’s what these rockers sign up for.  Tunstall sings her heart out, answers questions with humor and is even patient to smile for photos.  That lunchtime, the small group also enjoyed listening to “(Still A) Weirdo” and “Fade Like a Shadow.”  All of these sections can be found on her latest release Tiger Suit.

I became a fan of Tunstall’s with her Eye to the Telescope release and was happy that I did hear “Black Horse & The Cherry Tree” later that evening as well as “Other Side of the World.“  I did miss “Suddenly I See,” but whose fault is that?  For those of you who know and own her music, you already know how special Tunstall’s talent is.  For those of you who are not familiar but enjoy female singers who play guitars, are extremely rhythmic and make your blood move a little faster, then you must buy one of her tunes or CDs.  I am one of those people that don’t listen to lyrics, so I can’t tell you the meaning of most of her songs….but I’m sure she’s profound.

So at her concert, Tunstall had an opening act – Hurricane Bells.  They played for about 45 minutes and I guess they were good.  In all honesty, I was trying to stay awake and look for a reason not to go home and sleep.  Finally, around 10:15 p.m., Tunstall took the stage with her band.  They were great.  To be frank, however, I most enjoy her when she’s by herself with her little recording device she controls with her feet.

When I hit the wall, we walked out of the Vogue and headed towards our car.  Next to the Vogue is another bar and they had a cover band that night….they were singing “Black Horse & The Cheery Tree” and I mouthed and pointed to the lead singer that we just heard the song…the singer laughed.

The Scottish born Tunstall is the real deal.  She’s the type of singer that even if they’ve not had a radio “hit” for years, her fans will always want to see her perform in person.  If you have the chance, see her live and make sure to have plenty of coffee as she starts late!

No comments:

Post a Comment